My sister has this odd mass in her belly that

Patient: My sister has this odd mass in her belly that comes and goes.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks of the query to ATD for an opinion,The very fact that there is a mass in the abdomen which comes an d goes indicates towards the presence of a DIRECT HERNIA. If the swelling is near the groin area it is more likely to be direct inguinal or else most commonly seen in the anterior abdominal wall due to defect and weakness in abdominal muscles and fascial layers.It is important that a local examination may be performed by a physician along with an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and identify the hernial sac and its contents. The treatment is always surgical in form of HERNIOPLASTY which involves reducing the sac contents and strengthening the abdominal muscle and layers with a mesh which disallows any further herniation of abdominal organs .I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: Hi. The mass though is very large. It is very large. And she does not have any symptoms. No weakness. No loss of weight or bowel irregularities. She had this for a month then last week she and i felt the area then it was gone for two days. She had iritis last year and 4 months ago her esr was normal. I am worried it is some malignant cancer. LLast night it bulged and when she sat up it disappeared.

Doctor: Hello,
In that case it is important that an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound be done to identify any solid mass if it is not a hernia which can be followed with an MRI which can give a better picture. If the mass is solid and pelvic, the organ of origin would be important if its ovary or just a large fibroid.
Please get the investigation done.