Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My sister is 21 weeks pregnant and she was smoking

My sister is 21 weeks pregnant and she was smoking

Patient: My sister is 21 weeks pregnant and she was smoking pot until a few days ago she stopped smoking. Will it show up in the baby’s system at birth? She is worried sick to the point she can’t even eat I am trying to give her peace at mind because she can not come up with a straight answer.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.Smoking weed will not show up in the baby’s system but yes, it can harm the baby. Smoking is a very common reason for Intra uterine growth retardation.In my opinion, she should get a Level 2 obstetric ultrasound done to rule out any evidence of damage to any organs of the baby.She should avoid smoking further.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy