My sister is 21 weeks pregnant and she was smoking

Patient

Q: My sister is 21 weeks pregnant and she was smoking pot until a few days ago she stopped smoking. Will it show up in the baby's system at birth? She is worried sick to the point she can't even eat I am trying to give her peace at mind because she can not come up with a straight answer.

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Smoking weed will not show up in the baby's system but yes, it can harm the baby. Smoking is a very common reason for Intra uterine growth retardation.
In my opinion, she should get a Level 2 obstetric ultrasound done to rule out any evidence of damage to any organs of the baby.
She should avoid smoking further.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy