Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My sister is a 35 year old lady and is 21 weeks pregnant

My sister is a 35 year old lady and is 21 weeks pregnant

Patient: My sister is a 35 year old lady ans is 21 weeks pregnant n got her ultrasound done today and it shows single live infra uterine fetus of average GA-21w+-1wk fetal Kung appears echogenic. Means what???

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There are multiple causes for an echogenic fetal lung on an antenatal ultrasound. Trach eal stenosis, bronchial obstruction, laryngeal stenosis, atresia in the respiratory tract, congenital airway obstruction, emphysema, etc could be possibilities. This indicates an opinion to be taken from the fetal medicine specialist and also rule out all anomalies like trisomy and aneuploidies to be sure that there is nothing gross affecting the baby.Hope this helped.Regards