My son (8 months old), just had Botox injections for Strambismus.

Patient

Q: My son (8 months old), just had Botox injections for Strambismus. He was patched off and on for six weeks prior to the injections. Since his eyes have been followed so closely, we had been told by at least three people that he wouldn't need glasses. Yesterday, the doctor said he has a 'tiny, tiny, tiny' amount of myopia. He will likely need glasses just for school in five years or so. My sister had Strambismus and her vision is fine. I have myopia but it didn't start until I was a teenager. Since he was diagnosed so early is there a chance his vision will be horrible? If it is only a tiny amount, is there a chance it will stabilize? Any help appreciated. I hate wearing glasses and have trouble with contacts so really don't want my son going through this at such a young age to begin with.

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks your query and an elucidate history about your son and family.

Noted that your son has received Botox injections for Strambismus, and the doctor said he has a 'tiny, tiny, tiny' amount of myopia.
The opinion further says he will **likely need glasses just for school in five years or so. The history of your sister had Strambismus and her vision is fine and you have myopia but it didn't start until you were a teenager is a very good sign and indicate that your son may not need glasses. (Genetic predisposition is confirmed).

Secondly the very early correction of strabismus will help positively.
Since he is diagnosed so early, his vision will be far better that would not have diagnosed at all.
There is a chance that it may stabilize.
Very few people like wearing glasses or contact lenses.
Further regular follow-up, management and new understanding, advances and newer techniques may help him for not to have glasses or lenses.

I hope this answer help you.
Follow-up closely, exactly as has been advised the TEAM of Ophthalmologists and everything will be fine.