Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My son has a couple of insect bites, possibly from

My son has a couple of insect bites, possibly from

Patient: My son has a couple of insect bites, possibly from a spider or tick, that is quite red and a bit swollen with a faint ring around the edge of the swollen area. Is there something we can put on it to help with the redness and swelling?

Symptoms: Insect bite with redness and swelling. Not alot of pain.

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Not all bites or stings are the same. Whether you are bitten by an insect, spider, or a snake, you have to take different steps to apply the right first aid and seek proper medical assistance.Most bites or stings result in a mild reaction to the venom or other protein that the insect injects into you. This can result in redness, minor swelling, pain, and itching at the site of the bite or sting.First Aid CareIf the stinger is still in the skin, remove it by gently scraping across the skin with a flat-edged object like a credit card.Wash the area with soap and water.Place a cold compress or an ice pack (wrapped in a cloth to protect the skin) on the sting or bite for about 10 minutes to reduce pain and swelling.Apply calamine lotion, an antihistamine cream, or a paste of baking soda and water to the area several times a day until itching and pain are resolved.If There Are Signs of a Severe Allergic Reactionask someone to call for medical help, or call 911 if you are alone.Hope this helps. Take care.