My son has a stomach bug, he vomited acid

Patient

Q: My son has a stomach bug, he vomited acid and nothing left in stomach. He then drank water and threw water up about an hour later. Is it normal to have that water still in the stomach after drinking it an hr prior?

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

Yes, it is possible to throw up water after an hour of its consumption if there is a stomach bug.
You can consult your physician who can prescribe an antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin, the dose can be altered according to his age and body weight. The recommended dose for adults in 500 mg twice daily for 3-5 days. He can also take Cap. Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily till his symptoms subside. Normally the symptoms resolve in 3 days on initiating the treatment.

Hope this was helpful,