My son has post concussion syndrome He is now 15

Patient

Q: My son has post concussion syndrome. He is now 15. Got the concussion at 13. Now he has vitamin b12, vitamin d, folic acid, magnesium and b2 deficiencies. What causes all of these deficiencies

Doctor

Thanks for posting your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Your son is suffering from post-traumatic concussion for the past 2 years. Cerebral concussion is a state of temporary physiological paralysis of the nervous system usually this phase stays for few months and complete recovery is expected. In your son's case, the phase of post-traumatic concussion has extended for a bit longer.

Residual complications like depression, convulsions, chronic traumatic encephalopathy can develop in some cases.

Your son is not suffering from the deficiency of vitamin b12, folic acid, magnesium, vitamin d, but they have been supplemented to strengthen the nervous system, development of myelin sheath,most importantly all these medications take care of depression which is the commonest complication of post-traumatic concussion and to prevent the use of antidepressants which has side effect of drug dependence, in the long run.

Hope this was helpful,