My son is 18 months old and has a low grade fever

Q: My son is 18 months old and has a low grade fever for the past 3 days accompanied by lots of mucus from the nose, a persistent cough, and he throws up whatever he eats. Aside from sleeping more, he's otherwise fine; he plays with his cousin and runs around and such, hes just a little more cranky. Does this sound like something I should take him to the ER for (his pediatrician is out until next week) or can I continue with fluids and Tylenol?

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I think that your son has viral fever. He can be started on therapy which will help you to fight the fever and the cough and cold. The fever is fought by using Calpol syrup 2 ml/kg in divided doses per day.

Also, you can start him on steam inhalation to help him with clearing the nose and throat. Also, you should get him to drink a lot of water.

Hope this helps you. All the best.