Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My son was holding our new rats and he got a rash

My son was holding our new rats and he got a rash

Patient: My son was holding our new rats, and after he had several bumps on his neck. The bumps were very itchy. I couldn’t find the Benadryl … I gave him an aller-tec allergy pill. The about 15 min later my wife found Benadryl and gave him a pill. Our son seems to be less itchy and the bumps are not getting any worse. Do you think he is ok?

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.If you feel the bumps are related to a rat exposure, then also y ou should get him rabies vaccination based on the guidelines of your countries if they support this.As far as itching and bumps are concerned, you can give him Benadryl syrup for symptomatic relief. They will settle if the bumps are due to Urticaria.I would advise you to see your doctor and discuss, as he will evaluate the bumps and look for all possible causes of bumps other than rat exposure.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy