My son went orchidopexy when he was 10 months old


Q: My son went orchidopexy when he was 10 months old for right UDT. Now he is 2 years old and we noticed that we still cant feel his right testis. We went to his paed and did a scan on her advice. It seems her right testis is half in size of the left one. His doctor told us his testis is shrinking. We want to know if there is anything to stop it or make his testis grow. We also want why it is happening in a kid


A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you on this medical health advice platform.

Testicular atrophy is a complication seen in cases where Orchidopexy has been performed particularly in cases with high undescended testes. Now, it is a possibility that the tested which was surgically descended was already smaller in size. This comment can be given only after comparison of initial size of the tested.

The most common cause of testicular atrophy following the surgery is damage to the vas deferens and the blood supply to the testicle. Without an adequate blood supply, the testicle may shrink. Also, the dissection of the testicular vessels and postoperative swelling and inflammation can result in ischemic injury and testicular atrophy.

So, first of all we need to confirm this and he would require a color doppler to see the blood supply to the testes. If there is compromised blood supply, a surgical restoration can be attempted which varying degree of success achieved. In the United States, the only hormone labeled for the treatment of cryptorchidism is hCG, which is administered intramuscularly. There are studies and centers who perform hCG therapy, in cases like as of your son's with variable results.

So, first of all, get him a color doppler and decision would be based on the results. Please feel free to ask follow-up Questions, once you got the reports.
Share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.

Related Q&A

Q: Ive had a bump near the top of my neck for a few years. It is probably the size of a quarter : it didn't have any pai...

Q: My 45-year-old son has been experiencing paranoia for the last 48 to 60 hours . what can we do?

Q: Can you get hepatitis c from a patient who is on medication that scratched you?

Q: I have recently developed meralgia paresthetica and suprascapular nerve entrapment at the same time and am wondering ...

Q: Can I have schizophrenia like symptoms on withdrawal from nexito forte after being on it for two and half years


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon