Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » My sons size and heart

My sons size and heart

Patient: Hello,I have a son who is 12 yearand 2 mos old. he is in 6th grade and is 5’11 and weighs 155 pounds. of course he is the star of his sports teams because he is so much bigger than everyone. my concern is his heart. In cases were there childs body is so much bigger is this were the enlarged heart horror storys come from? Thank you for your time. Terry Milliman

Doctor: Thank you for your question. There is no significant evidence that draws puts larger sized children at a higher risk of developing an enlarged heart. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, is a genetic disorder of the heart which causes the heart muscle to dangerously enlarge. This increases the risk of sudden cardiac arrest. This can only be diagnosed by a cardiologist after extensive testing and diagnostic imaging. If your child is engaging in a lot of sports, it is important that he is medically cleared by a doctor to make sure it is safe for him to play sports.Thank you for consulting

View all posts