My story is longmy husband and I have been married

Q: My story is husband and I have been married for 4 years (dating off and on for 9 years prior). We recently were tested positive for Chlamydia. I have always done my pap and std testing every year, since I was a teen. Everything always came back negative. My husband hasn't seen a primary dr or been tested since he was a teen. He thought Occupational Medicine was the same as seeing a primary. Trust me...during our marriage, I have been trying to get him to see a primary Dr. I guess he got confused. Not we are positive for this STD and currently being treated for it by our primary Dr. My question is...the timeline of how all this happened and what the Dr said to us.

I haven't been with anyone, other than my husband, for the duration of is being together (13 years). Before we were married, he had a few partners. The last one was in 2011...before we were married. I know how this sounds...our relationship has always been difficult but we forgive and forget our past and move on...yea we both agree getting married was a mistake because we were in our mid 20s and still indecisive about the future. Anyways, the Dr said my husband could have had Chlamydia as early as teen years or 3/4 years ago. And that there is no way of knowing, since he has never been screened before. There are no symptoms. I am concerned because I have always tested negative. I am also concerned because my last test (besides the current on a few days ago) was in 2011 and negative. I was pregnant at the time and getting tested was a must.

My question is...does any of this make sense? If my husband got it from someone years ago...wouldn't I have gotten it years ago too? I am curious as to why ALL of a SUDDEN we have it now! I'm wondering if he slept woth someone between 2011 and now...since I haven't been tested for std since then. Just want a professional opinion. Our dr keeps telling us the same thing over again. It doesn't make sense to me.