My throat gurts, each time I drink soda.

Q: Hey, My name is Anna, and im 17. I love to drink soda, but recently My dad and I was drinking soda together, and I asked him, how can you drink it so fast? does it hurt your throat? and he said no. I asked other people, and they said no, as well. Everytime I drink soda, my throat hurts, for a couple of seconds at a time, I thought it was normal until recently. What can it be?

Symptoms:  Throat pain, and watering eyes

Thanks for choosing "Ask the Doctor" for posting your query.

Many people are allergic to soda or any of its constituents like sugar or carbonation in it. Throat pain is very common complaint amongst such people. It seems that you are also allergic to it. I would recommend you to avoid drinking soda as far as possible. If your throat is hurting bad, you can consult your doctor who might prefer prescribing anti-allergic medications like cetirizine or diphenhydramine to you. You can also do warm saline gargles for symptomatic relief.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!