My tongue is white and I can't get rid of

Patient : My tongue is white and I can't get rid of it. What can it be.
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern. There are a number of reasons that can cause a whitish c oating or white spots to develop on the tongue, including: 1) OralThrush: it is also known as Oral Candidiasis. It results in white patches that are often cottage cheese-like in consistency on the surfaces of the mouth and tongue. Various predisposing factors for it are: - People with immunosuppression - Diabetic patients - Patients on oral steroids or inhales steroids - Patients on long-term antibiotics 2) Leukoplakia: it leads to the formation of white patches inside the mouth, including on the tongue. It is mostly seen in tobacco users. It is a precancerous condition. 3) Oral Lichen planus: it is characterised by network of raised white lines on tongue that has a lace-like appearance. Treatment depends on the cause. Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and will start medications accordingly. He may order tests like mucosal biopsy for you to diagnose the condition. You can share my opinion with your doctor. I hope it helps. Stay Healthy