My uncle was placed in MICU on propofol and fentanyl

Q: My uncle was placed in MICU on propofol and fentanyl for about 10 days while on a ventaltior. He still remains on the ventaltior and has been off the propofol and fentanyl for about 2 days. However he's not able to follow commands using his arms or legs. When he's alert he can respond by blinking his eyes, shacking his head or moving his shoulders. Other time he remains in a deep sleep even being off the propofol and fentanyl for 2 days. It's like he's paralyze. He's also on dialysis. Will he recover?

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Read and noted the history that your uncle is in MICU on a ventilator and was kept on profofol and fentanyl. Now, in spite of being of these medicines he can not move his limbs. This indicates that he may be paralyzed and he is already on a dialysis.
It will be difficult to say whether he will recover or not depends upon many factors, his medical condition, the parameters of tests, age, co-morbidities and all. your Doctor in MICU only can suggest you something.

Hope this helps you