Ask The Doctor > Urinary Tract Infection > Why does my urine smell of burnt rubber?

Why does my urine smell of burnt rubber?

Patient: My urine smells strongly of rubber or burnt rubber and I don’t know why. I am not an alcohol drinker, although I do smoke cigarettes and occasionally spice or weed.

Doctor: Different changes in diet, or metabolic disturbances can result in changes in the odor of urine. For example, if a person is suffering from ketoacidosis associated with diabetes, the urine will have a fruity odor, or if a person has had asparagus, the urine will have a very pungent odor. Sometimes urinary tract infections can alter the odor of urine as well. For this reason, we recommend that you err on the side of caution and have a urine test conducted in order to rule out any infections, or any other causes of this. If nothing is found, it is likely that this is just a natural phenomenon due to your current diet. Please follow up with your doctor.