My whole family has come down with the flu.

Patient: My whole family has come down with the flu. My throat has been hurting so bad, it’s hard to swallow. I looked in the back of my throat and there was a red sore or two. I think I might have strep throat but I’m not sure. I don’t know what to do. No one will take me to the hospital. I’m in so much pain I feel like I want to die.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for posting your query to ATDThe problem you have stated is suggestive of streptococcal pharyngitis .The cause of sore throat most of the time is due to allergy and viral infection, it may sometimes get superadded with bacterial infection.You have likely contracted a bacterial throat infection called pharyngitis.Saline gargles with lukewarm water shall give relief from pain.You are advised to talk less and in low tone.Homemade remedies are also useful like honey, turmeric and ginger. You can make paste of honey, turmeric and ginger 5gms each and eat small bits frequently.Steam inhalation too helps a lot in such conditions.Please see your doctor.Discuss with your doctor about prescribing you painkillers like Advil twice daily and antibiotics like Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for 3 days.Wish you a good health.