Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My wife is 10 weeks pregnant , and after pregnancy

My wife is 10 weeks pregnant , and after pregnancy

Patient: My wife is 10 weeks pregnant , and after pregnancy she is having thyrid 5.4, doctr has asked to do blood test after 6 weeks but is it fine if we chech the blood test after weeks as she will be not available.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.TSH value of 5.4 in pregnancy is borderline for thyroid. It has to be followed up clos ely. You must check it after 6 weeks and do not delay beyond it, as if it is high, it can interfere with the baby’s mental growth in early pregnancy.It has to be treated if needed and at the earliest after a repeat test.For now there is no need of medications.Hope this helped.Regards