Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My wife is 16 weeks pregnant and accidentally took one Sudafed tablet

My wife is 16 weeks pregnant and accidentally took one Sudafed tablet

Patient: My wife is 16 weeks pregnant and accidentally took one 120mg sudafed. Her doctor told us to buy the 30mg. Did we just cause harm to the baby?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Sudafed contains pseudoephedrine, which belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy, means animal studies have demonstrated few adverse effects on the fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking.Single high-dose intake may not harm the baby usually.Regular antenatal visits and ultrasound examinations are needed to monitor the well-being of the baby.Hope this helps.Take care.