Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My wife is 18 week week pregnent,fetel echo done yesterday

My wife is 18 week week pregnent,fetel echo done yesterday

Patient: My wife is 18 week week pregnent,fetel echo done yesterday which says hypoplastic aortic valve,ascending aorta,smallish mitral valve,ventricular septal defect,mid muscular-small of heart of fetal,doctor said this is major heart problem of fetal and advise for termination of pregnency,i m really worried now,should we continue or terminate pregnency

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query at AsktheDoctor.On reading the detailed echo of the fetal heart, it is indeed unfortu nate that your baby is suffering from multiple anomalies of the heart. There is an involvement of most of the valves and hypoplasia as well. This deformity can not be corrected easily even after birth and the child may not survive after birth.It is better to go in for termination at the earliest as after 26 weeks it may not be legally allowed. Very sorry to give this opinion.We wish you a better luck for a healthy conception next time.Feel free to write back for further clarifications.Hope this helped.Regards

Patient: Sir,in India limit for termination of pregnancy is 20 week and can pregnancy can be terminated after that limit due to such major heart problem

Doctor: Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes in India pregnancy is terminated till 20 weeks only. Beyond 20 weeks you should have 2 gynecologist opinion and proof that the baby cannot survive even if operated, dor example scan report. Then pregnancy can be terminated.