My wife is experiencing a sharp and aching pain in

Patient

Q: My wife is experiencing a sharp and aching pain in her upper stomach region directly under her rib cage. It is painful to the touch and has caused her to have to lay down. What could this be the cause and should I take her to the hospital.

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Sharp and aching pain in the upper abdomen directly under the rib cage, with local tenderness can be due to the following reasons.
- Costochondritis, inflammation of the xiphoid process.
- Obstructed epigastric hernia with fat as a content
- Rarely Cardiac problem can mimic like this.

Yes, she should be taken to the hospital for the following reasons:
- First all to get an ECG.
- Clinical evaluation and actual physical examination to confirm the diagnosis and treat accordingly.
- Adjuvent investigations as required.

I hope this answer help her to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.