Mysterious lower leg lump that is not always palpable

Patient

Q: I noticed today that on my right leg, just to the right of the tibia about halfway down my lower leg, a small (maybe 1.5 cm) lump appears when I flex my calf muscle. It feels pretty firm but there is no redness, swelling, or pain associated with it. I do periodically have sharp pain in the same general area (outer lower leg from knee to ankle) but am not having any right now. What could it be?

Symptoms:  small lump lateral to tibia, no pain, no redness, no swelling; cannot feel it at all when calf muscle relaxed
Doctor