Mystiouse knee pain, swelling and brusing

Q: About 5 days ago I got leg cramps at night, not realizing then that the cramps only came from my left leg and my right would be just fine. Then about 3 days ago my left knee bruised and began to swell soon it was hard to bend my knee. the a day ago my left leg is now twice the size of my right and it hard to put pressure on it. It hurts to sit to stand to walk seems like laying down its the only relief but then the leg cramps attack again. I get no peace and the pain is getting worse with each day. I need know if this sounds like a broken bone or something simple? Should I go to the ER? Or should I just rest and take it easy for a few days?

Little history when I was 15 I was a track runner and damaged my left knee I ripped my major ligaments and I flatten my knee cartilage they repaired what they could but I was told I could never run again (yeah I know sob story) I have problems in the winter or when i work to much outside with small pains but nothing like this, I have not had any trauma to the area either to cause the bruise or the swelling other than the leg cramps. I am now 23 years old. Help. Thanks.

Symptoms:  Pain, swelling, bruising

A:   Thank you for your question. We recommend that you have your doctor examine this swelling. We believe that this could possibly be an infection of you knee joint. This could be caused by bacteria which gets into the knee joint capsule after the bruise was sustained and proliferate within. It will result in the swelling, and pain that you are experiencing. Although we do not suggest that you go to the emergency department, we do recommend that you go to your doctor or urgent care clinic immediately and have it examined thoroughly. If it is an infection you may need to be placed on oral antibiotics to treat this infection.

Thank you for choosing