Nail bed injury - treatment options.

Patient

Q: I recently have accidently cut the middle part of my fingernail off. The next day i noticed my nailbed was coming out. It is now out of my nail and im not sure what i should do? Any Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doctor

A:   Injuries of the nail bed are the most injuries to the hand. Though many individuals do not take notice of the injury, prompt repair of the separated nail bed decreases the chances of a painful nail plate deformity.
I would suggest that you consult your surgeon. Surgical repair will depend on the extent of the injury, signs of contamination, exposure of bone and the viability of the surrounding tissues. A radiograph may also be done to detect and underlying bone injury.