Nail bed seperation

Patient

Q: Three of my nails have seperated from the nail bed. On my right hand it is the index and middle finger nails. On the left hand it is my thumb nail. They are very dry looking. I have been treated for nail fungus several times and nothing happened to my nails. What can I do or what treatment can be done so that my nails can re-attach?

Doctor

A:   Nail bed separation or onycholysis is a common nail disorder. There are many disorders that may cause onycholysis. Trauma, prolonged immersion in water and overzealous manicure are common causes.
Onycholysis may also be present in underlying disorders such as psoriasis, dermatitis, fungal and bacterial infection, anemia, thyroid disorders and vitamin deficiencies. Treatment of onycholysis depends on the cause of the problem. Eliminating or correcting the predisposing cause is the best treatment.
The portion of nail that has separated will not reattach to the nail bed and you will have to wait until the nail is fully regrown for the condition to be completely gone. Fingernails take 4-6 months to fully regrow whilst toenails may take twice as long.
To prevent deterioration or recurrence of onycholysis after it has cleared up:

Clip the affected portion of the nail, and keep the nails short.
Avoid injuring the affected nail, and keep the nail bed dry.
Avoid exposure to contact irritants such as nail enamel and enamel remover or solvents and detergents.
Wear light cotton gloves under vinyl gloves for wet work.