Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Nail Coming Off from my finger

Nail Coming Off from my finger

Patient: I have just noticed that my finger nail seems to be coming completely off of my pinky finger and I have not smashed it. I was wondering if this could be from my playing my guitar, and if so what should I do?

Symptoms: The tip of my finger is numb.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that the plucking of guitar strings could have been gradually dislodging the nail on your forth finger. If the nail bed has not been damaged, this dislodged nail will gradually fall off and a new nail will regrow without complication. Allow the nail to gradually fall off on its own as trying to remove can damage the nail bed which can affect the regrowth of the new nail. The new nail should regrow in two to three months after this old nail falls off.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com