Nail fungus

Patient

Q: What is the best antifungal cream for nails?

Doctor

A:   An infection with nail fungus may be difficult to treat, and infections may recur. But medications are available to help clear up nail fungus.
Studies have shown the most effective treatments to be terbinafine (Lamisil) and itraconazole (Sporanox). These medications help a new nail grow free of infection, slowly replacing the infected portion of your nail. You typically take these medications for six to 12 weeks, but you won't see the end result of treatment until the nail grows back completely. It may take four months or longer to eliminate an infection. Recurrent infections are possible, especially if you continue to expose your nails to warm, moist conditions. This treatment would be appropriate for you, especially since you have diabetes and this could increase the risk for nail fungus due to decreased circulation. I wish you a prompt recovery.