Nail root damage?

Patient

Q: I'm a 24 year old female. A few weeks ago, I developed dyshidrotic eczema on my hand which evolved in to something ferocious on my ring finger. All the skin thickened up and crusted off, including the skin around my fingernail. My entire cuticle was destroyed and the root of my nail was visible.
It has been 3 months, and my skin is all better, but ever since the cuticle died, the nail has been pretty nasty. The cuticle is still gone, the root is still visible, and the nail started growing in very shallow, then ridged up, and back down to shallow again, and its pretty painful to the touch. What is growing in now is more like hard skin than a nail. I don't know much about nails so I'm wondering if this is something I should get checked out, or if its just taking its time to heal. Thanks so much!

Doctor