Nasal Congestion: Could it be a Side Effect of the Mini-Pill?

Patient

Q: Could the hormones in the mini pill be contributing to my nasal congestion and sinus problems? I have noticed that since starting the progesterone only pill in February I have experienced more symptoms of sinusitis - sinus pressure, post nasal drip, 'full' ears, swollen glands. Could this be a contributing factor and should I stop taking it, or is it just coincidental?

Doctor

A:   Yes, there is a possibility that the nasal congestion, although rare, is a side effect of progesterone. Other respiratory side effects are bronchitis and pharyngitis. It is more likely that the nasal congestion clogged up your sinuses and ears and it is also the root cause of the sinus problems you are having right now. Continue taking the mini-pill and ask your doctor if you should shift to another form of contraception. Stopping it right away will increase the chances of getting pregnant. You may try some over-the-counter nasal decongestants to help with the pressure symptoms. I do hope this helps. Take care always.