Nasal fracture healing time.

Patient

Q: My son, age 8 had a nasal bone fracture last week and had a closed reduction procedure done. We are scheduled for a spring break vacation next week. Is it safe for him to play in the pool or go on a water slide if it has been 19 days since the fracture occurred?

Symptoms:  Nasal fracture
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query albeit small and very specific.

The history says: your son is 8 years old, had closed reduction for fracture nasal bones. Want to know whether he can play safely in a pool or go on a water slide if it has been 19 days since the fracture occurred.

I hope the fracture was reset on the same day it occurred.

The healing in children is very fast and it take only 3 weeks for a complete healing, hence if we go by normal pathophysiology of the process of healing he can definitely enjoy a bit with a few precautions like using the safety gear for face, one gets for water sports.
Such a small child of 8 would definitely want to enjoy and will be difficult for you to resist him.

On a safer side of precaution, I would request you to have a review of the child by an ENT surgeon to check if everything of the internal injury have healed before you leave for the vacation. And I am sure you will refrain him from any activity where there is a chance of a slash on the face.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis, and get a proper further treatment. Please feel free to ask for more or if you need further clarifications if you feel there is a gap of communication.