Nausea: Common Causes and Remedies

Patient

Q: I am 16 years old. I have not been able to eat for 5 days. The thought of food sometimes makes me feel sick. I have tried eating little bits of food but just a couple of bites makes me feel really bloated and full. Occationaly i feel like i can eat a proper meal, so i do, however after ive eaten it the bloated feeling comes back, i start to feel sick and my stomach hurts. Ive looked at suggestions and some say i may be pregnant, but i didnt think so as im on the implant. What could be making me unable to eat ?

Doctor

A:   The possible considerations in this case are either pregnancy or side effects of the implant. The common side effects of the implant are no different than oral contraceptive pills. Some may have headache, acne, irregular bleeding or no bleeding at all, or nausea and/or vomiting. This may be the reason why you have poor appetitite. It has been reported that Implanon has a very low failure rate (0.05%). However, the usual cause of failure, if at all, is incorrect insertion. You may want to have the implant checked by a doctor to ensure that it is in place. You may also do a home pregnancy test kit again if you want. It is best to do this early in the morning (first morning urine upon waking up) as it is the most concentrated. You may also have some reflux symptoms as bloating and feeling of fullness are common symptoms too. Reflux of acid from the stomach to the esophagus can cause these symptoms. You may try Maalox (an over-the-counter antacid) as it may help with the symptoms and it is also safe for pregnant women. I still suggest you see a doctor for your condition so as the condition can be addressed accordingly. I hope this helps. Take care always.