Nausea/vomiting, heat/chills, spotting, cause of symptoms?

Patient: For the past month, I’ve been waking up once or twice a week feeling alternating heat and chills, and extremely nauseated, often actually vomiting. I was prescribed doxycycline hyclate (200 mg/day) for ten days during this time to help fight off pneumonia. I have always had irregular periods and was told this might make it difficult to have children in the future. I’ve noticed some very light bleeding recently. After using a menstrual cup to monitor the flow, it doesn’t seem to be getting any more abundant; just barely enough to spot a little throughout the day. This bleeding has been going on for two days. What could be causing these symptoms? I am 23 years old, do not use any hormonal birth control or IUD, but am sexually active with the same partner of 3 years, never unprotected. Any response/advice would be appreciated!

Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, heat/chills, “spotting”/light bleeding.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I would like to keep two possibilities in your case:1. Thyroid disorder2. Polycys tic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).In both of these conditions you can have Menstrual Irregularities, Flushes, Alternating Chills and heats.I would advise you to get following investigations done:1. Thyroid Profile.2. Fasting Blood Sugar.3. Ultrasound Pelvic Organs.I would recommend you to get these investigations on priority basis.I won’t suggest you any medicines for your problems as the treatment would depend on the cause.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.

Patient: Thank you for your response. I do have atypical PCOS (I do not carry much abdominal fat), it was diagnosed when I was 16, but I have never had nausea and vomiting be a part of it. I have had blood tests for both thyroid and fasting blood sugar come back within normal ranges, and ultrasounds show large cysts up to the size of a lemon which cause severe abdominal cramping.

Doctor: Hi
The Abdominal pain you are getting is because of the cyst.
You need to see your gynaecologist for further treatment.

View all posts