Neck and Back Pain with dizziness after Accident a month and a half ago

Patient

Q: I was in a car accident about a month and a half ago. As a result, my neck and back have started hurting me. My NECK MRI showed 1. slight loss of normal disc signal intensity is identified from the c2-c3, c3-c4, c4-c5 and c5-c6 disc space levels. 2. straightening of the normal cervical curvature is noted. 3. no significant pathology is demonstrated. there is no evidence of fracture or dislocation. AND my BACK MRI showed 1. diffuse posterior bulging disc l4-l5 is identified deforming the thecal sac and bilateral l5 nerve roots. this as well as hypertrophic changes of the bilateral zygapophyseal joints is resulting in bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis and deformity is noted upon the exiting l4 nerve roots. 2. posterior bulging disc in l5-s1 is Identified extending into the epidural fat abutting the thecal sac and bilteral s1 nerve roots. 3. hypertrophic changes of the bilateral zygapophyseal joints is identified at l5-s1 disc space level. the residual neuroforamen are adequate. 4. loss of normal disc signal intensity and height is identified from the l40l5 and l5-s1 disc space levels. 5. a slight increased lumbar lordosis is identified. WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN? AND LATELY I HAVE BEEN FEELING VERY DIZZY AND OFF BALANCED ... DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THE MRI IS SAYING OR IS THIS FROM SOMETHING DIFFERENT?

Doctor

A:   The MRI findings in the cervical spine might be due to the accident, less intensity in the discs signal and straightening of the curvature, also the dizziness may be a sequel of a Whiplash injury. Regarding the findings in the lumbosacral spine, they have been going most likely over quite some time now, meaning that you have some degenerative bone changes in the facets and discs that may be producing nerve compression at  the lumbar segments described  and pain.