Neck pain after "cracking" neck

Patient

Q: I cracked my neck this morning, moving my head to the left, and heard a different sound than normal. Immediately my neck hurt and I have bad pain when lifting or tilting my head up my head and also turning it to the left in any fashion. I immediately iced it, but that seemed to make it worse, so I have placed a heating pad on it, as well as taken an NSAID. What might I have done and what can I do about it?

Symptoms:  Neck pain on the left side from top of the hair line to midway down the neckline. I cannot lift, tilt or rotate head to the left as it is stiff and very painful.
Doctor