x
69 Physicians Online

Question:

Neck pain and tingling radiated to the jaw and shoulder

I am getting a tingling sensation on my right shoulder that radiates up my neck and jaw I have been having neck pain when I turn my head either way.what is it?

Answer:

In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation (bulging discs) or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process, this seems to be your case The treatment strategy usually includes: physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”), also a re-education of your habits and posture to improve quality of life. You should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on your own. Often, you should show progressive improvement over the first 6-8 weeks with conservative treatment. If there is no significant improvement in this time frame, consider a surgical evaluation.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.