Neck pain: possible sprain

Patient: When I woke up my neck cracked and now I have pain when I move it towards that side and when I move it looking straight down or up. Is this ok? Thanks!

Doctor: The neck pain may have many causes including: muscle strain, ligaments sprains, arthritis, or a radicular compression ( (pinched nerve). A cervical strain may be produced by everyday life stress like inadequate postures, muscle tension maybe from psychological stress or poor sleeping habits. You may have: stiffness and tightness, the pain of course and the limitation in the movements, all these may last up to six to 8 weeks. In the majority of cases the conservative treatment is effective, meaning: anti inflammatory medication, local alternating ice and heat, massage and practice a stretching exercise routine consistently every day. If after follow these measures the pain does not improve a further evaluation is recommended to rule out other more serious possible causes of the neck pain and according to that decide the best treatment option for you.