Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Need advice with knowing how much water is too much.

Need advice with knowing how much water is too much.

Patient: I have been drinking about a gallon of water every day for two weeks now to improve my complexion, bowel movements, lose weight, and overall health. I just recently read on WedMD.com that drinking too much water can be dangerous. It also stated that women should be drinking 90 fluid ounces i think…something like that. I am a 19 year old female and I am wondering if I should lessen my water intake.

Symptoms: No symptoms.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The amount of water you are drinking is within safe limits. It is very difficult to experie ncing adverse effects of excessive water consumption as the more water you drink the more you will urinate excess water. We do recommend not exceeding a gallon of water a day, as this can lead to frequent urination which could be frustrating.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com