Need allergy relief – Allegra not working !!

Patient: I took Claritin & Zyrtec in the past and they no longer work. I’ve been taking Allegra for allergies for the past 3 days with no result. I am miserable. I took Allegra a couple of hours ago, can I also take some Benadryl to see if that will work?

Symptoms: Congestion, Runny nose, Sneezing, Watery Eyes

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Since you just took an Allegra 2 hours back, you should wait for at least 8 hours, before taking the next antihistaminic. Otherwise, you have a lot of side effects including excessive dryness of the mouth, drowsiness, e.t.cI can understand your problem has been chronic and you are looking for immediate relief, but kindly wait for 8 hours to take the next dose.You also tried Claritin, which normally works very well in such recurrent allergies.I will advise you to try a combination of Tab. Montelukast+ Levocetirizine ( Montek-LC ), which works well in recurrent allergies. You can try with Benadryl, but I advise the combination drug over Benadryl. If the nasal congestion does not get better you can try Nasivion ( Xylometazoline ) nasal drops 5 drops each nostril, this will reduce the nasal congestion immediately.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.

Patient: Where the heck do I get Montek-LC ?? I’ve never heard of it. Is it OTC ?? And how long will it take to work? I need to go to work. Does the Levocetirizine work right away?

Doctor: Hello,
Yes, the combination of montelukast+ levocetirizine is a very commonly used drug, and it will be available in all pharmacy shops. It is OTC.
It starts working within 30 minutes, so you will definitely have relief.
Regards.