Need allergy relief - Allegra not working !!

Patient

Q: I took Claritin & Zyrtec in the past and they no longer work. I've been taking Allegra for allergies for the past 3 days with no result. I am miserable. I took Allegra a couple of hours ago, can I also take some Benadryl to see if that will work?

Symptoms:  Congestion, Runny nose, Sneezing, Watery Eyes
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
Since you just took an Allegra 2 hours back, you should wait for at least 8 hours, before taking the next antihistaminic. Otherwise, you have a lot of side effects including excessive dryness of the mouth, drowsiness, e.t.c

I can understand your problem has been chronic and you are looking for immediate relief, but kindly wait for 8 hours to take the next dose.

You also tried Claritin, which normally works very well in such recurrent allergies.
I will advise you to try a combination of Tab. Montelukast+ Levocetirizine ( Montek-LC ), which works well in recurrent allergies. You can try with Benadryl, but I advise the combination drug over Benadryl. If the nasal congestion does not get better you can try Nasivion ( Xylometazoline ) nasal drops 5 drops each nostril, this will reduce the nasal congestion immediately.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: Where the heck do I get Montek-LC ?? I've never heard of it. Is it OTC ?? And how long will it take to work? I need to go to work. Does the Levocetirizine work right away?
Doctor: Hello,
Yes, the combination of montelukast+ levocetirizine is a very commonly used drug, and it will be available in all pharmacy shops. It is OTC.

It starts working within 30 minutes, so you will definitely have relief.

Regards.