Need an answer

Patient

Q: I have noticed mucus on my stool. Sometimes I feel bloated and feel like using the bathroom but when I go all I do is pass gas and the mucus, no actual poop. What can this be?

Doctor

A:   A small amount of mucus in stool is usually nothing to worry about. Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus, a jelly-like substance that your intestines make to keep the lining of your colon moist and lubricated.
However if you start to notice changes in your bowel habits such as diarrhea alternating with constipation, and more importantly the presence of blood and mucus in your stools, then I would suggest you to consult your primary care physician  for a more detailed evaluation and stool sample test to rule out a condition related to inflammation or infection.