Need for Cesarean Delivery

Patient: My wife is 38 weeks pregnant. Here is a brief summary of our situation: Our doctor is suggesting that we should go for Cesarean delivery immediately, as she sees no chance of normal delivery. She gave her the following reasons for this: 1. baby head is free 2. cervix length is 3.5 cms 3. Loose cord around the neck. Please suggest us if these reasons are good enough for us to decide for cesarean delivery?

Doctor: I realize how concerned both of you are about taking this decision. If your wife is having contractions at the moment wi th those characteristics that you mentioned, the best choice for her and for the baby’s health would be to have a C-section delivery immediately.Your wife’s cervix appear to be dilated by 3.5cm,if this is her first pregnancy and she is having contractions for more than 3 hours a diagnosis of failure to progress might be possible, on top of this the baby’s head is not descended. On the other hand an umbilical cord around the neck could cause fetal distress which could put your baby in jeopardy. With these factors, I would incline for a c section delivery to prevent complications in the delivery.