NEED HELP

Patient

Q: I GOT MARRIED IN SEP 2011. I GOT PREGNANT IN JAN-2012. WE TERMINATED IT COZ WE DINT WANT IT. AFTER THAT WE USED PROTECTION. FROM 2013 WE STARTED TO HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX. WE TRIED FOR SEVERAL MONTHS BUT FAILED. WE CONSULTED A GYNAEC, SHE DID FOLLICULAR STUDIES, GAVE DUPHASTON & FOLIVITE & ASKED ME TO HAVE RELATIONS. I CONCEIVED IN OCTOBER 2013. IN MY 12TH WEEK, WE DID AN USG, IT SHOWED NO HEARTBEATS AND LATER IT WAS A MISSED ABORTION. DID D & C ON 8TH JAN, 2014. SINCE THAN MY PERIODS HAVE BECOME VERY IRREGULAR. I CONSULTED ANOTHER GYNAEC. SHE GAVE ME PRIMOLUT. I GOT MY PERIODS ON 3RD JUNE, 2014. SHE ASKED ME TO HAVE SIPHENE FROM 2ND DAY OF MY PERIOD. LATER SHE GAVE ME CERVIFERT, TRAZER F, METFORMIN, FOLL 123 & ASKED ME TO HAVE RELATION ON PARTICULAR DAYS. WILL THIS HELP. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO AVOID MISCARRIAGE OR MISSED ABORTION?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
After carefully going through your query it is advisable that the reasons for the miscarriage should have been ascertained. Generally luteal phase defect i.e. hormonal imbalance can be one of the causes mostly progesterone or the estrogen levels being low early on can lead to a miscarriage,others being anti-phospholipid antibodies, immunological causes,clotting factors,or the quality of gametes or the uterine environment which could also be few others leading to the miscarriage. Once the reason is known appropriate precautions can be taken to prevent further loss. Also sometimes spontaneous miscarriages do occur in the first trimester. It is an advisable that you explain to the doctor regarding your obstetric history such that she or he can advise precautions to be followed. If it happens once it does not imply that it may happen again. One thing to be cautions is that with each consecutive pregnancy loss the probability of pregnancy loss could eventually increase.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.