Need help before moving forward

Patient

Q: I want to invest into a waist trainer to eventually get down to a 23 inch waist, i am currently at a 26 inch waist. I just want to know is it safe? how long should i do it for (how many days, how many hours a day, how many weeks or months, etc)? will it effect my breathing or anything else that may cause problems in the future

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We do not recommend that you should use a waist trainer in trying to use only two inches off your waist. This can be easily lost by proper diet and exercise. If these are used excessively they can cause bruising of the skin, pain, and possibly affect breathing to to its pressure on the diaphragm. We cannot advise you on a specific protocol for using such a product because such products vary in quality, and safety standards. As a result, some waist trainers can actually be unsafe for use. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com