Need help to go on with my life

Patient

Q: I'm a 22 year old boy and I have huge regrets for some episodes that happened around 5 years+ ago. I can't talk about what those episodes were unfortunately, but I can say that they are of sexual nature. Because of this episodes I am condemning myself every day. I try to think that I was young and I had to learn it, but the thoughts comes striking back at me. The worst thing about them is that I have felt disconnected to both myself and my parents after it happened. I can't talk to my parents about it...I know it would help, but it would be bad for them to hear. I hate myself for having this episode. It is so unnecessary and the thoughts have lasted for such a long time, its time to get over it.

I have been to a shrink talking about it, and he just said I have to get over it and go on with my life. For me it isnt that simple. After the episode I have also had sort of a need to isolate myself and I have problems talking to others because of it.

Another problem with it is that my parents is religious, and I want to be it, but what I did is considered one of the worst things to do in the religion.

What am I supposed to do? I have a big decision this spring for what I should do the next years when it comes to studying or working and the thoughts make me have a huge problem thinking what I really want.

Symptoms:  anxiousness, depression, isolating
Doctor