Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Need help with my period problem.

Need help with my period problem.

Patient: Hi i was wondering if i should go to the doctors about this. I am 16, nearly 17 and i get very very heavy periods, with clotting quite often. I always leak onto my clothes and bedding and i get pains in my lower belly (where my womb is) i also have to change my pad quite often as i fill it all up, at night time i have to lay on a towel and wear two pads or a pad and a tampon. Is this normal?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Excessive and prolonged bleeding during periods in early mena rche is called puberty menorrhagia.Though frequently seen in teenagers, this is not a normal finding.It can occur due to many causes like gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal changes, hematological abnormalities etc.As you are having continuous and heavy bleeding associated with pain abdomen, better to get evaluated.Please do consult your doctor, get examined and go for investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, complete blood picture etc.With this workup, the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated.Take care.