Need second opinion!

Patient : My fiancé fell off the back of a 4 wheeler a few years ago and since then has dealt with pain in the lumbar region of her back. She had an MRI done shortly after the accident and the doctors told her she may have to get that area caged to prevent further damage. A week ago she went to a new doctor who said he sees a hole in that area, using the same MRI data from the first visit, and he thinks a nerve is getting the hole causing pain and discomfort. He said he can pin the hole so that the nerve can't get in. The problem I have is that I cannot find any similar procedures anywhere to compare it to or any stories from patients that have done this before. Please help so that I have some idea as to the outcome of this procedure. Thank you.
Symptoms:  Pain radiating from lower back down to feet at times, heavy right leg, hip pain, etc.