Needing advice about my ankle please:)

Q: Hi there,
I think I sprained my ankle about a week ago and about two days ago I was walking and my ankle seized up and has been grinding. It is quite painful but I am able to weight bear and there is no bruising. I have moderate swelling though. What could this be?

Symptoms:  Swollen painful ankle

A:   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.
There is a possibility of ligament tear at the sight of the injury. This could lead to swelling and pain with weight bearing. But it is essential to rule out the more serious causes of the swelling like Fracture / Tendon damage etc. I recommend a visit to an Orthopedic. Diagnosis would involve Xray of the ankle. After careful detailed history and Physical examination, the physician would suggest rest and immobilization for a few weeks. Avoiding strain is the most crucial part of the recovery. Treatment would include pain management and Ice therapy.
Hope this information was useful.