x
182 Physicians Online

Question:

Needing the help of a 'Mental health professional' and 'Inpatient-treatment'

Hello, I am not sure where my question fits, however I hope it fits in with this website... I have been self-harming for years and have needed medical assistance. I've also seen multiple psychologists and one psychiatrist. I was put on many anti-depressants and have only just recently stopped taking everything 'cold-turkey'. I still continue cutting and I get angry with everyone and everything...easily! I'm so angry and upset about things that have happened in my life. It's all screwed. I've also recently stopped seeing the psychologist and everything else... I'm wondering what I should do... I want to talk to my dad about everything, but at the same time I don't. My GP recommended 'inpatient-treatment'... but I'm not too sure about that. Would it be a good idea? Thank you in advance, Izzy

Answer:

In my opinion you should go with your GP’s suggestion regarding the inpatient treatment. What you may need at this point is supervised regular treatment for maximum benefit and a faster recovery, this is best possible when you are in the hospital. Admission eliminates the sense of vulnerability and should help ease your symptoms increasing your participation in the treatment. Also in an outpatient setting, treatment options are more limited.The intensity and variety of treatment you can receive as an inpatient in a matter of weeks could take months or years as an outpatient.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA