Needing to breathe deeper but can never quite get enough

Q: I've been having a bit of trouble with my breathing lately - it just started with my running which has always been a bit of a trigger for wheezing and struggle breathing no matter how fit I get. Now, i'm struggling to get enough breath in and keep needing to pop my ears as if i'm yawning to get enough air in my lungs and I'm not sure why.
It's been particularly worse today because i'm stressed about my exam in a few hours.

Symptoms:  Short of breath, wheezing sometimes, constantly needing to breathe deeper but just can't get enough air