Negative pregnancy but late period

Patient

Q: My expected period should have started dec 17th and it is almost always 28 days. I have not had my period this month and had intercourse on November 21- 24th. I took a home pregnancy test with a sensitivity of 25 mIU/ml and morning urine and the result is negative. Could I exclude the possibility of pregnancy from now or do I need to be worried still?

Doctor

If you have missed your periods by 4 days now and your pregnancy test is negative then it is advised that you may repeat the urine pregnancy test at 7 days post missed period as the sensitivity is higher. If that is also negative and still no periods then you can safely wait for another week before opting for a withdrawal bleed with progestins to resume your menses.
I hope i have answered your query,
wishing you good health,
regards