Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Negative pregnancy test, missed period.

Negative pregnancy test, missed period.

Patient: I had an abortion last year by the end of august. I got my period for whole month then i didnt get it until december and again on jan of this year. I been using double protection (birth control pills, and condoms) since the abortion but i still havent gotten my period. I did 3 99c pregnancy tests and they came out negative but i cant help but think or feel like i am pregnant. I missed a month of my period. Should i be worried?

Symptoms: Normal symptoms. Sleeping a lot more then usual.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Since the pregnancy tests have been serially negative and also you have used double pro tection, there is no chance of pregnancy. The cause for the irregular cycles could be a hormonal imbalance post-abortion or the side effect of the pills as well. Stress, thyroid disorders, anemia, prolactin changes can also lead to irregular cycles. Kindly consider seeing a gynecologist for an evaluation, a hormonal test, and an ultrasound may be required.Hope this helped.Regards.